Dear Visitor,

We’ve moved! Starting May 31, 2018, all traffic will be redirected to our new website at If you have any questions concerning this update, please contact our IT support team at

Print this page Print This Page

Email this page E-Mail This Page

Bookmark and Share


Mercury can be extremely toxic, especially to infants and children. Found naturally in the air, water and soil, exposures to mercury can affect the human nervous system and harm the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system. The most common way people in the U.S. are exposed to mercury is by eating fish containing methylmercury. Other exposures are often from using or breaking products containing mercury. NACCHO aims to provide local health departments with information and technical resources to prevent mercury poisoning

For more information, please contact staff at

In the Spotlight
19141428 2 boys on steps

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) has added new content to the Don't Mess with Mercury website, an interactive online webpage that offers students and teachers the opportunity to learn about the dangers of mercury through an online game, videos, and educational materials. The website also offers resources for other school professionals on conducting a school mercury audit, preventing spills, and what to in the event of a spill. Click on more to visit the website.

More »

Learn More about Mercury
Mercury Information

Mercury occurs in three forms: the elemental form, inorganic salt, and organic compounds called methylmercury. Each form has characteristic pathways of exposure and unique health effects. More »

Cultural Uses of Mercury

NACCHO developed the Cultural Uses of Mercury program to provide local health departments with information and technical resources to prevent mercury poisoning. Funded by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the program emphasizes culturally specific uses of mercury. Learn more about the program below: