Return to Toolbox Main.
Marin County (CA) Countywide Plan
The Marin County (CA) Countywide Plan provides a good example of a large metropolitan comprehensive sustainability plan. Implementation of the policies and programs of the Countywide Plan is intended to assist the larger Marin community in achieving the following:
• A Preserved and Restored Natural Environment: Marin watersheds, natural habitats, wildlife corridors, and open space will be protected, restored, and enhanced.
• A Sustainable Agricultural Community: Marin’s working agricultural landscapes will be protected, and the agricultural community will remain viable and successfully produce and market a variety of healthy foods and products.
• A High-Quality Built Environment;
• More-Affordable Housing;
• Less Traffic Congestion;
• A Vibrant Economy;
• A Reduced Ecological Footprint: Marin residents and businesses will increasingly use renewable energy, fuel efficient transportation choices, and green building and business practices similar to the level of Western Europe.
• Collaboration and Partnerships: Marin public agencies, private organizations, and regional partners will reach across jurisdictional boundaries to collaboratively plan for and meet community needs.
• A Healthy and Safe Lifestyle: Marin residents will have access to a proper diet, health care, and opportunities to exercise, and the community will maintain very low tobacco, alcohol, drug abuse, and crime rates.
• A Creative, Diverse, and Just Community; and
• A Community Safe from Climate Change: Marin will be a leader in averting and adapting to all aspects of climate change.
One of the guiding principles of the Marin Countywide Plan is to support public health, safety, and social justice.
Climate Change Toolkit
Active Living, Adaptation, Climate, Community Design, Environmental Health, Tobacco, Transportation Planning
Marin County (CA) Community Development Agency
Five most recent user comments
Marin County Countywide Plan
By Brendon Haggerty
The link should be http://www.marincounty.org/depts/cd/divisions/planning/2007-marin-countywide-plan
This is a 2007 document and is somewhat dated at this point. Goals & policies specific to climate change and health are fairly broad/not specific.
By Raymond Roe
It appeared that the tool was no longer available on the website. If it was available the webpage did not provide clear instructions to direct one to the tool.
The NACCHO Toolbox is a repository of available resources to help local public health practitioners. Tools are produced by local, state, and federal agencies, as well as academic institutions and other stakeholders. The contents of this Toolbox are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect any official recommendations of NACCHO. NACCHO makes no express or implied warranty with respect to the contents and disclaims liability for any damages arising from or connected to the use of the material in this Toolbox.